Building Permits for Montgomery County Residences
A building permit for construction of any structure in excess of 200 S.F. is required before construction begins within Montgomery County’s jurisdiction, located outside the police jurisdictions of the City of Montgomery and the City of Pike Road. Non-flood prone permits cost $100.00 per structure if construction is begun within six months of issuance. Permits for construction of structures within flood prone areas require that the structure be elevated above flood stage which is an elevation established by a certified engineer that is at least two feet above flood stage. The cost for flood-prone building permits is based on a sliding scale according to the cost of the structure.
Driveway Turnout Installation
Driveway Turnout Installation - The Montgomery County Engineering Department will install driveway turnouts on public county road right-of-way at no charge, if requested by a private land owner for access, provided the property owner purchases and furnishes the required drainage pipe (size and type to be determined by the Engineering Maintenance Superintendent) for the proposed driveway. The County will provide the clay gravel material and labor/equipment to install the pipe and clay gravel driveway turnout. Large vertical pipe headwalls are unsafe and not approved for placement on county right-of-way (see detail of standard slope paved headwall). Please contact any of the following to request this service.
West and North Montgomery County
East Montgomery County
South Montgomery County
Schedule of Permit Fees
Effective October 1, 2005
On all buildings, structures or alterations requiring a building permit, as set forth in Section 105 of the Standard Building Codes, fee shall be paid as required at the time of filing application, in accordance with the following schedule:
The minimum fee for issuing any permit shall be $100.00.
- At the time a permit is issued by the Flood Plain Administrator of Montgomery County, Alabama, he or his duly authorized agent shall determine the structure to be built or altered to be:
- In a flood prone area.
- Outside a flood prone area.
- $0.00 to $3,000.00 – $100.00
- $3,000.01 to $15,000.00 – $100.00 for the first three thousand plus $10.00 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof.
- $15,000.01 to $100,000.00 – $150.00 for the first fifteen thousand plus $2.00 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof.
- $100,000.01 to $500,000.00 – $320.00 for the first one hundred thousand plus $1.00 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof.
- $500,000.01 to $1,000,000.00 – $720.00 for the first five hundred thousand plus 40 cents for each additional thousand or fraction thereof.
- $1,000,000.01 and over – $920.00 for the first million plus 15 cents for each additional thousand or fraction thereof.
If the structure to be built or altered is not in a flood prone area, no further fee shall be charged.
If the structure to be built or altered is in an undetermined area, the Flood Plain Administrator of Montgomery County, Alabama, or his duly authorized agent, shall make a physical inspection of the site and determine whether this is, in fact, located in a flood prone area or not. If it is determined that the site is in a flood prone area the fees chargeable in this Schedule under Paragraph #3 shall apply. If it is determined that the site is located outside a flood prone area no further fee shall be charged.
If construction is commenced on a building, structure or alteration without obtaining a permit as required herein an additional fee of $100.00 shall be paid.
The Flood Plain Administrator of Montgomery County, Alabama, shall be, and he is hereby authorized and directed to enforce and implement all of the provisions of this Resolution and the intent and purpose hereof, including, without limitation, the right to institute any legal or equitable proceeding in the name of Montgomery County, Alabama, after first having secured the consent and approval of the Montgomery County Commission of Montgomery County, Alabama, to enforce the terms and provisions hereof.
The provisions of this Resolution are severable, and if any provision hereof shall be declared to be unconstitutional, it shall not affect any other provision hereof.
For further information, please contact Montgomery County's Building Inspector, Perry L. "Lonnie" McGough at (334) 832-1312 or main office at (334) 832-1310.