Check here for any weather statements from EMA, as needed.
Hazards Associated With Thunderstorms
- Damaging Winds
- Flash Flooding
- Fires Caused by Lightning Strikes
Lightning Safety Tips
- Get in a strong sturdy building.
- Stay away from windows.
- Avoid using the phone.
- If in a vehicle, stay there.
- Move away from bodies of water.
- Avoid high places and open fields.
- Stay away from metallic objects.
- Avoid isolated trees.
30/30 Lightning Safety Rule
- First 30 - Take cover if you hear thunder within 30 seconds of seeing a lightning flash.
- Second 30 - Wait at least 30 minutes after the last lightning flash or thunder clap to resume normal outdoor activities.
Tornado Safety Tips
Tornado Watch - Conditions are conducive to the development of tornadoes in and close to the watch area.
Tornado Warning - A tornado has actually been sighted by spotters or indicated on radar and is occurring or imminent in the warning area.
- Go to an interior room on the lowest level
- Get under something sturdy, if available
- Stay clear of windows, doors, and outside walls
- Protect yourself from flying debris
- Do not stay in mobile homes or vehicles
Flash Flood Safety Tips
- Move to higher ground
- Stay out of flooded areas
- Never drive into water of unknown depths
- Be especially cautious at night