Drivers Licenses Office Locations
Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Downtown: Courthouse Annex III
101 S. Lawrence Street - 2nd Floor
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
3075 Mobile Highway
Montgomery, Alabama 36108
Probate East: Eastmont
5449 Atlanta Highway
Montgomery, Alabama 36109
Driver License/Identification Card
The legal age to obtain a learner license is fifteen (15), and a driver license is sixteen (16).
Driver licenses and ID cards may be renewed or duplicates applied for at any of our four Probate Office Locations.
All other transactions must be handled through the state of Alabama, Department of Public Safety, 1040 Coliseum Blvd., Montgomery, AL. (334) 242-4141
You may renew or apply for a duplicate at any of our four Probate locations. The following documents are required:
- Original driver license/ID (or old license)
- Fee is $36.25 for renewal, $31.25 for duplicate
- If original license/ID is not available two forms of identification must be presented. A certified birth record is required. Examples of acceptable second forms of ID are social security card, military ID, or passport. Call our office if additional information is needed.
Driver licenses may now be renewed with the Alabama Department of Public Safety.
The following licenses can be renewed or duplicated using this system:
- Driver's License
- Commercial Driver's License
- State ID Cards
Please note that:
- A valid credit card is required to use this application.
- A non-refundable fee will be collected at the end of your transaction. If for any reason the transaction is not completed, your card will not be charged.
- Only renewals and duplicates can be performed online.
- You must have a printer available to print your 30 day temporary license.
- Your new permanent license or ID card will be mailed within 30 days. A temporary receipt will be provided that is valid for 30 days.
The Alabama STAR ID may only be issued from the Alabama Department of Public Safety.
In order to be issued a STAR ID, applicants must verify.
- Their identity and date of birth
- Their Social Security Numbers, and,
- Their address of principal residence
A list of proper documentation can be found on the Department of Public Safety's Website.
*** If the applicant’s name has changed from that displayed on the document produced (marriage, adoption, court order, etc), official documents verifying this change will be required.
STAR ID Cards may be renewed or duplicates applied for at any of our four Probate Office Locations, at any Department of Public Safety Office or Kiosk, or online.
Persons 12 years and older operating motorized watercraft must have an operator's license. Information on certification may be obtained from the Alabama Department of Conservation by calling (334) 242-3673. Certain restrictions apply.