Those not qualifying through a political party may obtain ballot access by submitting a petition to the Alabama Secretary of State. There is no qualifying fee.
The number of signatures needed must equal or exceed three percent of the qualified electors who cast ballots for the office of Governor in the last general election for the district that the candidate is seeking ballot access for as per, §17-9-3 (a) (3), Code of Alabama, 1975. If seeking office, please contact the Alabama Secretary of State Election’s Division at (334) 242-7210 for the number of signatures needed.
- All Independent candidates must follow the FCPA (Fair Campaign Practices Act) guidelines.
- Independent candidates must file a Statement of Economic Interests with the appropriate election official simultaneously upon becoming a candidate.
- For Federal, State, and County offices, you will need to file with the Alabama Secretary of State.
- For information on filing the Statement of Economic Interest, please contact the Alabama Ethics Commission (334) 242-2997.
- Please provide a statement that includes the name of the independent candidate, date of the general election, as well as the office sought with assigned district number if applicable.
- Numbered pages
- Ensure all requested information for each voter be properly completed to include; name, residential address, county of residence, city of residence (if applicable), voting place, date of birth, and signature.
- A signature shall not be deemed invalid for lacking any portion of the requested information if the disclosed information is sufficient for determining the validity of a signature.
- Have the voter sign in ink and write legibly.
- Obtain an excess of signatures required as some may not be valid and/or identifiable.
- Please try and allot ample time to have submitted signatures reviewed in the event that a candidate may require additional signatures to meet the guidelines and continue their path for ballot access.
- Keep a copy of the petition.