- Title:Major, Legal Service Division Commander
- Phone:(334) 832-1388
Major Gayle Atchison began her career with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office as a Deputy Sheriff in 1976. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Auburn University. Major Atchison has advanced through the ranks serving in a variety of operational and administrative capacities. In 1998 she was promoted to the rank of Captain and assumed command of the Legal Services Division where she continues to serve today. Currently, the Legal Services Division is staffed by 29 full time Deputy Sheriffs, 20 part-time Deputy Sheriffs, and 17 civilian employees.
As the Commander of the Legal Services Division, Major Atchison is in charge of legal process service, pistol permits, court security, fingerprint/identification, warrants, elections, and service of involuntary commitments through Probate Court. She oversees the day-to-day operation of the division and is the liaison for the Sheriff’s Command Staff.
Major Atchison was promoted to the rank of Major on January 1, 2018. She is a member of the Sheriff’s Command Staff.
- Alabama Peace Officers Association
- Serve on the Board of Directors of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Serve as the Representative for the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office on the ROAD Steering Committee for the Opioid Crisis
- Member of the National Sheriff's Association
- Member of the Exchange Club
- ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)