The City of Montgomery, which became the county seat in 1822, was built on the side of the Indian town Ikanatchati (Econachatee), which means red ground, and Towasa on a high red bluff known to Alibamu Indians as Chunnaanaauga Chatty. Hernando DeSoto and his troops, who passed near Montgomery in the autumn of 1540, were the first Europeans to visit this region.
The City of Montgomery remained the sole municipality in the county until the Town of Pike Road incorporated in 1997.
Today, Montgomery County has an estimated population of over 221,000, making it the fourth largest county in the State.
Even though Montgomery County and the City of Montgomery share the same name, it came from two separate namesakes. Montgomery County was named after Major Lemuel P. Montgomery of Virginia, who fell at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend on March 27, 1814. The City of Montgomery was named in honor of Major General Richard Montgomery of Revolutionary War fame, who lost his life in the Arnold expedition against Quebec.