Placement of Utilities on a County Right-of-Way
1. Anyone proposing to perform work on a County right-of-way should
first apply for a permit and post an appropriate bond at the
County Engineering Department
before beginning any utility
2. Complete drawings showing location of proposed utility installation
along with a letter of request to locate subject utility on a County
right-of-way should be submitted to our department for review and
approval before any utility installation work begins.
3. All utilities are to be placed parellel with the roadway within the
outermost five feet of the right-of-way. There may be certain
situations where adverse conditions such as steep back-slopes,
swamp areas, or deep ditches would not allow installations of
utilites at this location. Deviations from this standard installation
location requirement must be approved by our department before
any utility installation work begins.
4. All underground fiber optic utilities on a County right-of-way shall
be buried with a minimum of 42 inches of cover. All other
underground utilities on a County right-of-way shall be buried
a minimum of 30 inches of cover.
5. Open cutting of County roads is not allowed. Only boring under
County roads is permited.
6. Montgomery County is not responsible for any damages that may
occur to a utility as a result of our routine right-of-way and
roadway maintenance activities.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please call Perry L. "Lonnie" McGough at (334)832-1312.