Become a Polling Official
The Montgomery Election Center is
always looking for new
All polling officials must be active, registered voters. All information should be up-to-date in the voter registration system.
What is a Polling Official?
- Someone who works at a Precinct (Polling Location) on Election Day to serve the citizens of Montgomery in the process of electing our leaders at every level of government (City, County, State, and Federal Offices).
- Essential to the election process. No Polling Officials = No Elections
What skills do Polling Officials need?
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to listen and follow instructions down to the most minor details.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Must be courteous and patient with voters and other staff members.
- Ability to work in a high stress environment while staying calm and focusing on the job at hand.
- Able to work 12+ hours on Election Day.
- Must have reliable transportation.
What is expected of Polling Officials?
- To come to ALL training classes. Polling Officials are required by law to be trained within 60 days prior to each election. (Even polling officials who have worked for 20 years must attend class.)
- To read, review, and keep training materials and handbooks.
- Must be flexible to work where you are needed and not just where you prefer (jobs and locations).
- Be professional in appearance and manner.
- To not make comments, influence, or in any way show preference to a candidate or party on Election Day. Polling officials may not wear any political apparel - this includes t-shirts, hats, stickers, bracelets, pins, etc. On Election Day YOU ARE NEUTRAL until after the polls close and all voters have exited the building.
- To work the full 12+ hours required on Election Day. If you do not work the whole day, you will not receive any compensation.
Why be a Polling Official?
- To make a difference!
- To meet new people in your community.
- Learn more about the election process and how our democracy works.
- Receive compensation for volunteering in your community.
- Polling Officials are paid $100 for attending training class AND for working on Election Day.
Please send completed applications to:
Election Training Coordinator
125 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
** Please note that all polling officials can not work every election. **